Paediatric dietitians are highly qualified experts in the specific needs of growing infants, children and adolescents.
The dietitian’s working at Paediatric Gastroenterology Victoria are able to provide guidance to children and their families for a range of nutritional issues to optimise a child’s growth and general wellbeing.
Conditions include (but not limited to):
- Gastrointestinal conditions such as Coeliac Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fructose malabsorption, as well as chronic diarrhoea/loose stools, constipation, bloating and wind
- Growth issues – both faltering growth and weight management advice
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Fussy eaters
What usually happens in a consultation?
- Your child will be weighed and, where possible, their height may be checked as well.
- You will be asked to outline your child’s usual intake. It can sometimes be hard to recall this on the spot so bringing a 3 day food diary (including one weekend day) can be helpful.
- Once an analysis is undertaken on the adequacy of your child’s intake, a management plan will be discussed to ensure optimum intake for your child.
It is usually necessary to review your child’s progress regularly. The frequency of these reviews will depend on their specific issues and their progress.